Ben Simmons was named the 2017-18 NBA Rookie of the Year on Monday night, edging out Donovan Mitchell for the number-one spot. It came with some debate, but the voters have spoken and Simmons, a rookie, takes home the hardware.
Mitchell, more than anyone, has been outspoken about Simmons’ rookie status. Photos of Mitchell wearing a sweatshirt, given to him by his endorser Adidas, saying “Rookie” on the front, broke the internet during this past NBA season.
This was an attempt to make an argument that he (Mitchell) deserved the award due to the fact that it’s his first season in the NBA. On another occasion, Mitchell wore an Adidas sweatshirt that displayed the definition of rookie.
Prior to the NBA awards ceremony on Thursday night, Mitchell made one last effort to woo the voters (which doesn’t make any sense, since the voting already took place) showing up in a van/bus/taxi/whatever-you-call-it, displaying the word “Rookie?” again on the right window with an Adidas logo underneath.
Thankfully for the Philadelphia 76ers and Simmons, the Nike family won the night and Simmons put this debate behind him and the NBA world. The fun wasn’t over, though. Sixers Twitter just had to get in the last laugh.
Ben Simmons was not the only member of the 76ers that received an award tonight. Amir Johnson did as well, taking home the NBA Hustle Award. Also, former Sixer Dikembe Mutombo won the Sager Strong Award.
List of 2017-18 NBA Award Winners
- Rookie of the Year: Ben Simmons – Philadelphia 76ers
- Most Improved Player: Victor Oladipo – Indiana Pacers
- Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert – Utah Jazz
- 6th Man of the Year: Lou Williams – Los Angeles Clippers
- Coach of the Year: Dwane Casey – Toronto Raptors
- Community Assist Award: Kevin Durant – Golden State Warriors
- Teammate of the Year: Jamal Crawford – Minnesota Timberwolves
- Hustle Award: Amir Johnson – Philadelphia 76ers
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Oscar Robertson – Milwaukee Bucks & Cincinnati Royals
- Executive of the Year: Daryl Morey – Houston Rockets
- Clutch Shot of the Year: LeBron James (February 7, 2018 vs the Minnesota Timberwolves) – Cleveland Cavaliers
- Sager Strong Award: Dikembe Mutombo – Denver Nuggets, Atlanta Hawks, Philadelphia 76ers, New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Houston Rockets
- Most Valuable Player: James Harden – Houston Rockets